Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Last Frontier = The Last State

Image 1
Wait, I have a question.  Is anyone tired of short, dark winter days? Five-foot tall snowbanks? Freezing temperatures? No? Well, me neither.  Actually, I can't wait to get my hands on some more of that wintry fun, but I'd like to kick up the intensity just a notch.  Which is exactly why Jeff and I are headed to Alaska on Friday.  Seriously, why sport sandals and sundresses, while working on a tan when you can spend just as much time and money wearing long johns, face masks, all while nursing frostbitten digits.

All kidding aside, I'm excited, but a little nervous about shivering our way through our 8-day Alaskan adventure. As most of you are aware, Jeff's long-time goal has been to visit all 50 U.S. states before he turns 30.  Well, kids, time is running out.  His 30th birthday is March 18th and Alaska is the last state to be crossed off his list.  I'm just going along for the ride since he couldn't find any other takers.

We fly into Fairbanks.  Not much going on there. We will spend two generous nights, and hopefully get the best view of the Aurora Borealis/Northern Lights, dip in the Chena Hot Springs, tour an ice museum and hang with the likes of this guy (Image 1).  From there, we take an 8-hour train ride along the countryside and head to a town south of Anchorage where will ski, dogsled and chill out at the one of few swanky spots in Alaska, Alyeska Resort.  Well probably be sipping hot chocolate fireside with these types (Image 2). 
Image 2

Thankfully, my shopping ban has lifted just in time for me to get my hands on a knit, pants-less jumper to sport in below freezing temps.  Our trip concludes with a few days exploring Anchorage before we catch an outbound flight back to New York. 

Wish us luck as we take on The Last Frontier and complete this ultimate challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment