Friday, August 5, 2011

Showered with Love & Baby Thangs

Party Loot

I sit here in awe as I re-read cards and take stock of the baby loot we’ve amassed over the past two weeks. The love, attention, and support I’ve been shown throughout my pregnancy is nothing short of amazing. I feel so lucky to have the husband, family, friends, and co-workers that I do.   For example, as I write this, Jeff is on his way to get me a milkshake from the Greek restaurant up the street (oh, what, you didn’t know Greeks are well-known for their milkshakes). 

The weekend before last my sister Shawna and cousin Michelle hosted a baby shower for me at my Mom’s house in West Hartford.   Cousins, aunts and lady friends chitchatted over a fabulous lemon-themed brunch and played non-cheesy games.  Not only did Shawna and Michelle throw me a great party, they gave us a huge amount of hand-me downs.  I’m not about talking warn-out binkies and stained bibs; these hand-me downs are pristine, expensive and necessary.  For example, thanks to them I have an automatic breast-pump (check the price tag on those bad boys), an infant carrier/car seat, a bouncer seat, an activity mat, a jumparoo (Shawna’s friend refers to this thing as the Baby-Neglecter 2000), clothes, unused pacifiers…the list goes on. We also recieved a handmade quilt, hat, chair and curtains; all from different, but extrememtly talented and loving friends and family members. 

Sue & her Mom, Marlene
And then, as if that wasn’t enough, this past weekend, my good friend Sue, hosted a NYC-based shower for me.  Sue’s a great host and goes out of her way to make sure her guests are very well attended too.  She even requires that her parents, Lee and Marlene, are present to assist with bartending, catering, and unforeseen party-related needs. 

For example, Sue and her father had to make an unexpected trip to the Bronx to pick up personalized Baby Rigby M & M’s.  Sue venturing to the Bronx is the equivalent my Mom going to the mall on a sunny day; it just doesn’t happen.  I’m sure Sue wouldn’t have made it back alive if Lee wasn’t there to protect and guide her.  Additionally, Sue was concerned I wouldn’t be able to make the four flights of stairs to her apartment and suggested that her father carry me on his back.   I considered it, but quickly declined, as I remembered the scale reading at my 32-week weigh-in just days before.  As if that wasn’t enough, Sue being so sensitive to a pregnant ladies needs in the city, in the summer, made sure I sat directly in front of the air conditioner.  I’m sure everyone else loved that.

The NYC ladies and a few special guests
It’s also important to note that one of my best friends, Kelly, came all the way from San Diego to attend this shower and hang with me for a few days in the city. My parents came to the NYC shower, even though they were at the previous one, just seven days prior.  And, my friend Vanessa, another non-New Yorker, whom I haven’t seen in months, was also in attendance.   

Here are some highlights from the cards, advice and wisdom I’ve received recently.

“I just hope it’s cute.” – Julie, my 17-year-old sister-in-law

 “I can’t wait to meet the newest Rigby & see how you guys attempt to handle this.” – Laura, my good friend from high school.  She later added, “Invest in noise-cancelling headphones”

“Don’t have just one or they might turn out like me” – Sue, my shower host, an only child

“If you ain’t right, yo’ baby ain’t gonna be right. You better be right.” – Drunk guy on my block at 8AM Friday morning

“Always ask your Ma to babysit.” – My Mom



No comments:

Post a Comment