Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Baggage


Last night I came home from work feeling overwhelmed.  I didn’t have a bad day or anything, I just felt like the day had passed and I hadn’t accomplished nearly what I had wanted.  I’m constantly playing catch up both at work and home.  I don’t think this feeling is unique to me, but since it’s my life and my blog, I can pretend like it is.  However, pretty much every person I speak with, especially working moms, feels the exact same way.

Instead of attacking my mounting to-do list, I avoided it completely.  Jeff made us cocktails, we danced to Usher with Colette, and played with her favorite new toy; foam letters for the tub.  Some whiskey, the letter L, some solid R & B beats and it’s any ol’ Monday night in the Rigby house.   Obviously, we had fun.

After we put Colette to bed, we ate dinner, watched Girls on HBO, my new favorite show, and made out.   Yep, we were still having fun.

There was a scene in the episode of Girls where they are talking about the baggage that everyone brings into a relationship.  According to them, we all have baggage….small, medium and large. 

I didn’t want the fun to end, so I thought it would be a good idea to talk about our relationship baggage.   I was eager to tell Jeff what I thought his was.  Oddly, he didn’t want anything to do with this game.  He said it was a trap. 

It didn’t turn ugly, but it if you are looking to have fun, I would suggest Taboo instead.  I won’t go into the details, but I said his small baggage was that he couldn’t cook a meal.  He said that my small baggage was that I couldn’t season a meal.  Touché.

My unseasoned scallop failure. Don't make this.

As the day came to an end, I accomplished nothing I had set out to do, not only at work, but now also at home.  However, I did have a great day and that’s just as important getting things done.   I’m going to take Jeff's suggestion and add fun things to my “to do” list so I feel accomplished when I eat ice cream while I watch T.V.   

No comments:

Post a Comment