Monday, January 17, 2011

It's 86ed

My goal this past week was to consume or trash the food in our fridge, freezer and cabinets that was still edible (or not, as I discovered in some cases) but had been occupying our precious kitchen real estate for way too long.  I threw out lots of frost-bitten red meat, made some very creative meals, saved money by not grocery shopping.  Most importantly, I had a huge sense of satisfaction this morning when I opened the freezer and didn't have one lone waffle staring me in the face. Seriously, aside from my brother-in-law Dave, who eats one waffle?  But, to be fair, I had a solo waffle, because I threw the portions out of whack when I ate three in one sitting.  That's equally weird, but more embarrassing. Anyway, this week I made lots of stir-fry, ate mostly frozen and canned vegetables (which I didn't like doing) and cleaned the inside of our fridge and freezer once I could see how much it needed it.  Jeff was a trooper and ate everything I made, minus the Mahi Mahi burgers.  Sadly, I mistook them for chicken patties when I cooked them, so the accompanying sides were all off.  I knew I should have kept them in their original packaging.  Yesterday, I went grocery shopping and stocked up on fresh fruits, vegetables and dairy.  I also bought chicken and fish, and as of right now it's clear which one is which and I really hope it stays that way. Tonight we're having green peppers stuffed with tomatoes, corn, brown rice and spicy chicken sausage.  Mmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment