Sunday, January 9, 2011

Shopping Ban Enforced

My weekly e-mail alert from Mint informed my that clothes shopping budget for December was off the charts.  No seriously, I think the software program, on the verge of combustion, just stopped charting my spending since it clearly calculated that I have no control, nor interest, in acknowledging my spending in that department.  I was not surprised by their report since I needed wanted new duds for Christmas and New Year's Eve.  Really though, I feel like there is always an excuse to have a new outfit.  Take for example, the grand opening of the bodega around the corner from our apartment.  That calls for a cute new headband and leather gloves, right?  And in my opinion, the December 26th blizzard was more of shopping emergency than anything else, forcing me to trek through un-plowed sidewalks and climb over mounds of snow to buy new boots, in both black and brown of course.

But, I would like to curb my clothes, shoes and accessory spending, at least for the month of January.  Yes, it's the right thing to do, but more importantly it's because I'm dying to get my hands on this North Face jacket.  And that pretty little thang ain't cheap.

My sister once told me that, if you live in the city and don't have a car, then you better have the best jacket, shoes, and purse your money can buy. Save for and invest in those items, like you would a set of wheels.  Right now, my jacket is nice, but old. Actually, it's a hand-me-down from my sister.  If it were a car it would be a 1994 Volvo. It's warm, reliable, boxy and has warn well over thousands of miles. But it's time for an upgrade. That means no shopping for me until February 1st.



No comments:

Post a Comment